SPECIFICATIONS 1. PICTURE TUBE Size DefIection Angle Neck Diameter Transmission Dot Pitch Face Treatment Low Radiation : 19 inch (Flat Square Tube) : 90° : 29.1mm : 52% : 0.26mm : AR-ASC (Anti-Reflection and Anti-Static Coating) : MPR-II, (TCO99; PFC) 3. POWER SUPPLY 3-1. Power Range AC 100~240V(Free Voltage) , AC 180 ~ 240V(PFC) 50/60Hz, 2.0A Max. 3-2. Power Consumption MODE NORMAL (ON) STAND-BY SUSPEND OFF VIDEO Yes No No No POWER CONSUMPTION LED COLOR GREEN
less than 140W less than 8W
2. SIGNAL 2-1. Horizontal & Vertical Sync 1) Input Voltage Level : Low=0~0.8V, High=2~5.5V 2) Sync Polarity : Positive or Negative 3) Composite Sync Signal Vertical Sync Width :1H~10H. Serration Pulse : NON, 0.5H, 1H, EX-OR Equalize Pulse : Max 5H * REMARK : H=Horizontal Period 2-2. Video Input Signal 1) Voltage Level a) Color 0, 0 b) Color 7, 0 c) Color 15, 0 2) Input Impedance 3) Video Color 4) Signal Format
less than 8W less than 3W AMBER
4. DISPLAY AREA 4-1. Active Video Area 4-2. Display Color 4-3. Display Resolution 4-4. Video Bandwidth
: 350 x 262 mm (13.78" x 10.31") (Available for Full Screen) : Full Colors : 1600 x 1200 / 75Hz (Non-Interlace) : 203MHz
: 0 ~ 0.7 Vp-p : 0 Vp-p : 0.467 Vp-p : 0.7 Vp-p : 75 : R, G, B Analog : Refer to the Timing Chart
2-3. Signal Connector 15-pin D-Sub Connector 2-4. Scanning Frequency Horizontal Vertical
: 30 ~ 95 kHz : 50 ~ 160 Hz
SAFETY PRECAUTIONS SAFETY-RELATED COMPONENT WARNING! There are special components used in this color monitor which are important for safety. These parts are marked on the schematic diagram and the replacement parts list. It is essential that these critical parts should be replaced with the manufacturer's specified parts to prevent X-radiation, shock, fire, or other hazards. Do not modify the original design without obtaining written permission from Gateway Inc. or you will void the original parts and labor guarantee. CAUTION: No modification of any circuit should be attempted. Service work should be performed only after you are thoroughly familiar with all of the following safety checks and servicing guidelines. X-RADIATION The only potential source of X-radiation is the picture tube. However, when the high voltage circuitry is operating properly there is no possibility of an X-radiation problem. The basic precaution which must be exercised is keep the high voltage at the factory recommended level; the normal high voltage is about 26kV. The following steps describe how to measure the high voltage and how to prevent Xradiation. Note : It is important to use an accurate high voltage meter calibrated periodically. · To measure the high voltage, use a high impedance high voltage meter, connect () to chassis and (+) to the CDT anode cap. · Set the brightness control to maximum point at full white pattern. · Measure the high voltage. The high voltage meter should be indicated at the factory recommended level. · If the meter indication exceeds the maximum level, immediate service is required to prevent the possibility of premature component failure. · To prevent X-radiation possibility, it is essential to use the specified picture tube.
SAFETY CHECK Care should be taken while servicing this color monitor because of the high voltage used in the deflection circuits. These voltages are exposed in such areas as the associated flyback and yoke circuits. FIRE & SHOCK HAZARD An isolation transformer must be inserted between the color monitor and AC power line before servicing the chassis. · In servicing, attention must be paid to the original lead dress specially in the high voltage circuit. If a short circuit is found, replace all parts which have been overheated as a result of the short circuit. · All the protective devices must be reinstalled per the original design. · Soldering must be inspected for the cold solder joints, frayed leads, damaged insulation, solder splashes, or the sharp points. Be sure to remove all foreign materials. IMPLOSION PROTECTION All used display tubes are equipped with an integral implosion protection system, but care should be taken to avoid damage and scratching during installation. Use only same type display tubes.
CAUTION: Please use only a plastic screwdriver to protect yourself from shock hazard during service operation.
Video Active Time ms Blanking Time Front Porch Sync Duration Back Porch
ms ms ms ms
OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS FRONT VIEW REAR VIEW
Power (DPMS) Indicator
Power ON/OFF Button
AC Power Socket
Front Control Panel
1. Power ON/OFF Button This button is used to turn the monitor ON and OFF.
3. OSD Select/Adjustment Use this knob for selecting (highlighting) an OSD icon and adjusting level of the selected menu.
2. Power (DPMS) Indicator This indicator lights up green when the monitor operates normally; In DPMS (Energy Saving) mode stand-by, suspend, or DPM off mode its color changes to orange.
On Screen Display (OSD) Control To adjust an image size, position, and operating parameters are quick and easy with the On Screen Display control system, using the OSD Select/Adjustment knob. A quick example is given below to familiarize yourself with use of the controls.
Icon R MORE
Description Mode Recall: To recall factory preset mode. Advanced Option: There are eight kinds of options. Tilt: To correct the image rotation. Parallelogram: To correct the geometric distortion. Pincushion Balance: To correct balance on each side distortion. Moiré: To reduce moiré. Moiré is caused by intreference the periodical display pattern with the periodical dot screen. Zoom: To adjust horizontal and vertical image size simultaneously. Top Corner Distortion: To correct the irregular Top distortion of displayed image. Bottom Corner Distortion: To correct the irregular Bottom distortion of displayed image.
Example; Note: (Monitor and PC's power switch should be ON, with an image or prompt on the screen). A single press of the OSD Select/Adjustment knob will present you the main menu as below: H : 800 x 600 68.4 kHz V : 84.6 Hz
HORIZONTAL SIZE R USER MORE
Convergence: Use to adjust the alignment of red and blue fields.
: N AV I G AT E
Color Select: To select color temperature or set color level; 9300K / 6550K / USER. Language Select To choose one of the five languages for the OSD menu. USER
To adjust this item, rotate the OSD Select/Adjustment knob and push it at the point of the selected item. The display will look like as below: H : 800 x 600 68.4 kHz V : 84.6 Hz OSD
Information: There is information of video modespreset and user modes.
OSD Manager: To adjust horizontal or vertical position of the OSD image.
EXIT OSD USER MORE
Exit To make the OSD disappear on the screen.
Out of Frequency Range Listed below are icons, icon names. When inputed video signal is not available, the message will display as right: OUT OF FREQUENCY H F : 1 2 0 .0 k Hz V F : 11 0 .0 H z O P E R AT IN G F R E Q U E N C Y H F : 3 0 -9 6 k Hz V F : 5 0 -1 6 0 H z
Description Contrast: To adjust the image contrast level. Brightness: To adjust the screen brightness level. Horizontal Size: To adjust the image width. Horizontal Position: To move the image left or right. Vertical Size : To adjust the image height. Vertical Position: To move the image up or down. Pincushion: To correct bowing in or out of the image. Trapezoid: To correct the geometric distortion. Degauss: Used to demagnetize the picture to give a more accurate image and color.
Self Diagnosis This monitor has a SELF DIAGNOSIS OSD feature that is pops up when the signal cable is not connected between a PC and a monitor. The message will be highlighted as below. MONITOR SELF TEST YOUR MONITOR IS WORKING CORRECTLY CHECK COMPUTER POWER AND MONITOR CABLE
No. 1 2
Ref. No. SW201 VR201
Control Function POWER SWITCH OSD SELECT/ADJUSTMENT
No. 3 4
Ref. No. VR701 VR901
Control Function HIGH-VOLTAGE ADJUSTMENT B+ ADJUSTMENT
DISASSEMBLY 1. TILT/SWIVEL REMOVAL 1) Set the monitor face downward. 2) Pressing the latch (a), carefully remove the Tilt/Swivel by pulling it upward.
2. BACK COVER REMOVAL 1) Remove two screw caps (a). 2) Remove four screws (b). 3) Slide the Back Cover away from the Front Cabinet of the monitor.
3. TOP SHIELD REMOVAL 1) Remove eight screws (a).
(a) (a) (a)
4. TOTAL CHASSIS ASSEMBLY REMOVAL 1) Disconnect P901 (Degaussing pin), P701 (DY pin), P501(Tilt pin) and P402 from the Main PCB. 2) Disconnect CDT Earth Pin, P303, P304 from the Video PCB. 3) Disconnect Pin (c) from the DY Assembly screw. 4) Carefully separate the CDT Board Assembly from the CDT neck. 5) Discharge the remaining static electricity by shorting between the Anode Cap and the CDT ground. 6) Disconnect the Anode Cap from the CDT. 7) Remove four screws (a). 8) Remove the Front Cabinet from the Main Total Assembly. 9) Disconnect P301, P302, P308, P305 and Pi n(b) from the Video PCB. 10) Remove Video Assembly from the Main Total Assembly. Anode Cap (to P303)
DY-Pin DY Assembly Screw
Pin (c) Tilt Coil
P305 (b) P301 P302 P308 P303 P304
aus Deg l Coi P201(Control PCB)
(a) P701 P901 P702 P401 P402 P902 P501
- 10 -
5. CONTROL PCB ASSEMBLY REMOVAL 1) Remove three screws (a). 2) Remove the Control PCB Assembly from the Front Cabinet.
6. BOTTOM BRACKET REMOVAL 1) Remove two screws (a). 2) Remove four screws (b). 3) Remove screw (c) and Metal Fix. 4) Remove the Bottom Bracket.
- 11 -
H.V H-Sync Sig V-Sync Sig I2C DATA(SDA) I2C CLOCK(SCL) MICOM (IC401) OSD IC (IC301) Signal Cable Heater ( 6.3V ) R G B VIDEO PRE-AMP (IC302) 12V 5V I2C 5V SCL / SDA H/V Sync, PWM Control Sig 12V X-RAY Protection Circuit -12V 15V 30V I2C CUT OFF CONTROL 125V 8V R/G/B Bias 15V VIDEO MAIN AMP (IC303) Screen G1
CONTRAST BRIGHTNESS H-SIZE H-POSITION V-SIZE V-POSITION S-PCC TRAPEZOID DEGAUSS RECALL ADVANCED OPTION COLOR LANGUAGE INFORMATION OSD MANAGER EXIT
Dynamic Focus Static Focus
6.3V TILT Control Circuit Degaussing Circuit TILT COIL
E2PROM (IC402) 12V
Vertical Blanking, Brightness Control -120V
I2C H/V Sync 190V 125V 75V 15V 12V 6.3V 5V -12V SMPS CONTROL (IC901) DPM CONTROL CIRCUIT
H/V Sync Processor ( IC701 ) TDA4856
V-OUT ( IC601) TDA8172 H-DRV H-OUT (Q708) H.V CONTROL
FBT ( T701 )
SMPS TRANS (T901) Line Filter
6.3V DUMMY TRANS 700V Dynamic Focus Circuit Auto Beam Limit
POWER INPUT .Free Voltage:100~240VAC (50/60Hz) .PFC Version:180~240VAC
DC/DC Converter 190V
DESCRIPTION OF BLOCK DIAGRAM 1. Line Filter & Associated Circuit. This is used for suppressing noise of power input line flowing into the monitor and/or some noise generated in this monitor flowing out through the power input line. That is to say, this circuit prevents interference between the monitor and other electric appliances. 2. Degauss Circuit & Coil. The degauss circuit consists of the degaussing coil, the PTC (Positive Temperature Coefficient) thermistor (TH901), and the relay (RL901). This circuit eliminates abnormal color of the screen automatically by degaussing the slot mask in the CDT when turn on the power switch. When you need to degauss while using the monitor, select DEGAUSS on the OSD menu. 3. SMPS (Switching Mode Power Supply). This circuit works with power of 110-240Vac (50/60Hz). The operation procedure is as follows: 1) AC input voltage is rectified and smoothed by the bridge diode (D901) and the capacitor (C907). 2) The rectified voltage (DC voltage) is applied to the primary coil of the transformer (T901). 3) The control IC (IC901) generates switching pulse to turn on and off the primary coil of the transformer (T901) repeatedly. 4) Depending on the turn ratio of the transformer, the secondary voltages appear at the secondary coil of the transformer (T901). 5) These secondary voltages are rectified by each diode (D906, D907, D908, D909, D910, D911, D912, D913) and operate the other circuits. (Deflection, Video Amplifier, etc.) 4. Display Power Management Circuit. This circuit control power consumption of the monitor by detecting H and V sync signal. There are stand-by and suspend mode. When no horizontal or vertical sync signal input, the circuit consists of Q930 and Q907 becomes stand-by and suspend mode. It's power consumption is below 8W. When no horizontal and vertical sync signal input, it's power consumption is below 3W. 6. Micom(Microprocessor) Circuit. The operating procedure of Micom (Microprocessor) and its associated circuit is as follows: 1) H and V sync signals are supplied from Signal Cable to the Micom (IC401). 2) The Micom (IC401) distinguishes polarity and frequency of H and V sync. 3) The Micom controls each OSD function signals. (H-size, H-position, V-size, etc.) 4) The controlled data of each mode is stored in IC402. User can adjust screen condition by each OSD function. The data of the adjust screen condition is stored automatically. 7. Horizontal and Vertical Synchronous Processor. This circuit generates the horizontal drive pulse and the vertical drive pulse by taking sync-signal from Signal Cable. This circuit consists of the TDA4856(IC701) and the associated circuit. 8. Oscillating Circuit for D/D Converter. This circuit generates the pulse wave which has the horizontal period by taking the output of the TDA4856 (IC701). 9. D/D (DC to DC) Converter. This circuit supplies DC voltage to the horizontal deflection output circuit by decreasing DC 190V which is the secondary voltage of the SMPS in accordance with the input horizontal sync signal. 10. Side-Pincushion Correcting Cirucit. This circuit improves the Side-pincushion of the screen by mixing east-west wave to the output of the horizontal deflection D/D converter which is used for the supply voltage source (B+) of the deflection circuit. 5. X-ray Protection. This circuit detects the rectified DC voltage comes from the FBT pin 4. If the high voltage of the FBT reaches up to about 30kV (abnormal state), Micom(IC401) detects. It stops B+ voltage supplied to the FBT (T701), and high voltage is not be generated, (In the normal state, the high voltage is about 26kV.)
- 13 -
11. D/D Drive & Convert Circuit. This circuit is used for supplying B + voltage to horizontal deflection output transistor (Q709). This circuit makes to add side-pincushion correcting signal to B+ voltage. 12. Horizontal Deflection Output Circuit. This circuit makes the horizontal deflection by supplying the saw-tooth current to the horizontal deflection yoke. 13. High Voltage Output & FBT (Flyback Transformer). The high voltage output circuit is used for generating pulse wave to the primary coil of the FBT (Flyback Transformer (T701)). A boosted voltage (about 26kV) appears at the secondary of the FBT and it is supplied to the anode of the CDT. And there are another output voltages such as the dynamic focus voltage. 14. H-Linearity Correction Circuit. This circuit corrects the horizontal linearity for each horizontal sync frequency. 15. Vertical Output Circuit. This circuit takes the vertical wave from the TDA4856 (IC701) and performs the vertical deflection by supplying the saw-tooth wave current from the TDA8172 (IC601) to the vertical deflection yoke. 17. Dynamic Focus Output Circuit. This circuit takes H and V parabola wave from the TDA4856 (IC701), and amplifies these waves to offer to the FBT (T701). 18. H & V Blanking and Brightness Control. This circuit eliminates the retrace line by supplying a negative pulse to the G1 of the CDT. The brightness control circuit is used to control of the screen brightness by changing the DC level of G1.
19. Image Rotation (Tilt) Circuit. This circuit corrects the tilt of the screen by supplying the image rotation signal to the tilt coil which is attached to the CDT near the deflection. 20. Static Convergence Control Circuit. This circuit corrects the convergence of the screen by supplying the convergence signal to the 4H (STC) coil which is attached to the CDT near the deflection. 21. Moiré Reduction Circuit This circuit reduce interference between the periodical display pattern and the CDT's slot (or dot). The positions of every other one dot video signal beams (red, green, and blue beam) are shifted finely, thus reducing interference. 22. OSD Circuit. This circuit is used for performing the OSD (OnScreen- Display) function. When a user selects the OSD Select/Adjustment control, the adjustment status displays on the screen. 23. Video Pre-Amp Circuit. This circuit amplifies the analog video signal from 00.7V to 0-4V. This circuit is operated by taking the clamp, R, G, B drives, and contrast signals from the Micom (IC401). 24. Video Output Amp Circuit. This circuit amplifies the video signal which comes from the video pre-amp circuit and amplified video signal is applied to the CDT cathode.
- 14 -
ADJUSTMENT GENERAL INFORMATION All adjustment are thoroughly checked and corrected when the monitor leaves the factory, but sometimes several adjustments may be required. Adjustment should be following procedure and after warming up for a minimum of 30 minutes. · Alignment appliances and tools. - IBM compatible PC. - Programmable Signal Generator. (eg. VG-819 made by Astrodesign Co.) - EPROM or EEPROM with saved each mode data. - Alignment Adaptor and Software. - Digital Voltmeter. - White Balance Meter. - Luminance Meter. - High-voltage Meter. AUTOMATIC AND MANUAL DEGAUSSING The degaussing coil is mounted around the CDT so that automatic degaussing when turn on the monitor. But a monitor is moved or faced in a different direction, become poor color purity cause of CDT magnetized, then press (DEGAUSSING) on the OSD menu.
COMMAND PRESET START. DIST. ADJ. FOS. ADJ command. Adjust H-SIZE as arrow keys to 350 ± 2mm. Adjust H-POSITION as arrow keys to center of the screen. Adjust V-SIZE as arrow keys to 262 ± 2mm. Adjust V-POSITION as arrow keys to center of the screen. Adjust S-PCC (Side-Pincushion) as arrow keys to be the best condition. Adjust TRAPEZOID as arrow keys to be the best condition. DIST. ADJ. BALANCE2 TILT command. Adjust tilt as arrow keys to be the best condition. DIST. ADJ. BALANCE1PIN BALANCE command. Adjust balance of side-pincushion as arrow keys to be the best condition. DIST. ADJ. BALANCE1PARALLELOGRAM command. Adjust parallelogram as arrow keys to be the best condition. Display from Mode 2 to Mode 9 and repeat above from number 6) to 11). PRESET EXIT Y (Yes) command.
ADJUSTMENT PROCEDURE & METHOD 5. Adjustment for White Balance and Luminance. - Install the cable for adjustment such as Figure 1and run the alignment program on the DOS for IBM compatible PC. - Set external Brightness and Contrast volume to max position. 1. Adjustment for B+ Voltage. 1) Display cross hatch pattern at Mode 8. 2) Adjust C913(+) voltage to 190V ± 0.5V with VR901. 2. Adjustment for High-Voltage. 1) Display cross hatch pattern at Mode 8. 2) Adjust CDT Anode voltage to 26kV ± 0.2kV with VR701. 3. Adjustment for Factory Mode (Preset Mode). 1) Display cross hatch pattern at Mode 1. 2) Run alignment program for CG992D on the IBM compatible PC. 3) EEPROM ALL CLEAR Y(Yes) command. Do not run this procedure unless the EEPROM is changed. All data in EEPROM (mode data and color data) will be erased. 1) Set the White Balance Meter. 2) Press the (DEGAUSSING) on the OSD menu for demagnetization of the CDT. 3) Display color 0,0 pattern at Mode 8. 4) Set Bright and Contrast volume to max position. 5) PRESET START command. 6) COLOR ADJ. LUMINANCE command of the alignment program. 7) Set Brightness and Contrast to max position. 8) COLOR ADJ. BIAS ADJ. command of the alignment program. 9) Check whether blue color or not at R-BIAS and GBIAS to min position and B-BIAS to 130 (decimal) position and Sub-Brightness to Data(115). If it's not blue color, the monitor must repair. 10) Adjust Screen control on the FBT to 0.1 ± 0.02FL of the raster luminance. 11) Adjust R-BIAS and G-BIAS command to x=0.283 ± 0.006 and y=0.298 ± 0.006 on the White Balance Meter with PC arrow keys. 12) Adjust SUB-Brightness command to 0.55 ± 0.05FL of the raster luminance. 13) PRESET EXIT Y (Yes) command.
- 15 -
14) 15) 16) 17)
Display color 15,0 box pattern (70x70mm) at Mode 8. Contrast and Brigntness to Max Position. DRIVE ADJ command. Set B-DRIVE to 150 (decimal) at DRIVE of the alignment program. 18) Adjust R-DRIVE and G-DRIVE command to white balance x=0.283 ± 0.003 and y=0.298 ± 0.003 on the White Balance Meter with PC arrow keys. 19) Adjust SUB-CONTRAST command to 50 ± 1FL of the color 15,0 box pattern (70x70mm) luminance at Mode 8. 20) PRESET EXIT Y (Yes) command.
21) 22) 23) 24) 25)
Display color 15,0 full white patten at Mode 8. COLOR ADJ. LUMINANCE ABL command. Adjust ABL to 39 ± 1FL of the luminance. PRESET EXIT command. Exit from the program.
6. Adjustment for Focus. 1) Set the Brightness and Contrast volume to max position. 2) Display H character in full screen at Mode 8. 3) Adjust two Focus control on the FBT that focus should be the best condition.
Monitor to be adjusted
A IBM Compatible PC 9 15 10 5 11 6 1 5 6 1
Video Signal Generator se d
C 13 25 1 14
Parallel Port RS 23 2C
F Power inlet (required) 220
5V ON 4.7K 4.7K 4.7K 74LS06 74LS06
S MO NI
Power Select Switch (110V/220V) Power LED
E ST Switch
B F V-Sync On/Off Switch (Switch must be ON.)
Figure 1. Cable Connection
- 16 -
TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE 1. NO POWER
NO POWER (POWER INDICATOR OFF)
CHECK FUSE OK?
TROUBLE IN FUSE (F901)
CHECK C907 (+) VOLTAGE? (390VDC)
TROUBLE IN IC901
CHECK D902, D903, D904 VOLTAGE?
TROUBLE IN D902, D903, D904
- 17 -
2. NO CHARACTER
CHECK IC302 PIN 3, 8, 12 (12V), PIN 17 (5V)?
TROUBLE IN P302, 5V, 12V LINE
CHECK IC302 PIN 2, 6, 11 ?
TROUBLE IN PC SIGNAL, SIGNAL CABLE
CHECK IC302 PIN 29, 32, 35 ?
TROUBLE IN IC302
CHECK R, G, B CATHODE VOLTAGE?
TROUBLE IN IC303
YES TROUBLE IN CDT SOCKET
- 18 -
3. NO RASTER
NO VIDEO (POWER INDICATOR GREEN or ORANGE)
CHECK POWER INDICATOR GREEN or ORANGE ?
TROUBLE IN P302 SIGNAL CABLE
CHECK SCREEN CONTROL KNOB OF FBT
ROTATE SCREEN CONTROL KNOB TO CLOCKWISE
CHECK VOLTAGE AT D912 CATHODE (190V) D909 CATHODE (80V) IC904 OUT (12V) D906 CATHODE (6.3V)?