Text preview for : Travelmate 2310.pdf part of acer Travelmate 2310 acer Travelmate 2310.pdf
Back to : Travelmate 2310.pdf | Home
Machine Disassembly and Replacement
This chapter contains step-by-step procedures on how to disassemble the notebook computer for
maintenance and troubleshooting.
To disassemble the computer, you need the following tools:
Wrist grounding strap and conductive mat for preventing electrostatic discharge
Flat-bladed screw driver
Phillips screw driver
Plastic Flat-bladed screw driver
Hexed Screw Driver
NOTE: The screws for the different components vary in size. During the disassembly process, group the
screws with the corresponding components to avoid mismatch when putting back the components.
Chapter 3 46
Before You Begin
Before proceeding with the disassembly procedure, make sure that you do the following:
1. Turn off the power to the system and all peripherals.
2. Unplug the AC adapter and all power and signal cables from the system
NOTE: Aspire 9100 series product uses mylar or tape to fasten the FFC/FPC/connectors/cable, you may
need to tear the tape or mylar before you disconnect different FFC/FPC/connectors.
47 Chapter 3
Disassembly Procedure Flowchart
The flowchart on the succeeding page gives you a graphic representation on the entire disassembly sequence
and instructs you on the components that need to be removed during servicing. For example, if you want to
remove the main board, you must first remove the keyboard, then disassemble the inside assembly frame in
*2 *2 E*2
HDD Cover IO Bezel ODD Module
*2 back side
*4 left/right side
HDD Module Connector ODD Holder
Wireless LAN Board
special screw for thermal*3
(right and left hinges)
Lower Case Upper Case
*2 screw nuts *4 B*2 B*2
*3 Touchpad Bluetooth Touchpad
VGA Heatsink Main Board 3-in-1 Cover Speaker Set Modem Board
Bracket Module Board
Chapter 3 48
4 screw pads
Antenna set LCD Cover
LCD LCD Cable LCD Brackets
A SCREW F040 9 5.0X5.0 9.5X(IO) R00
B SCREW M2.0X0.4P+3FP ZK(NL)
C SCREW M2.5 K 5/2 X0.85 4 ZK(NL)
D SCREW M2.5X0.45+10K NIL
E SCREW M2.5X0.45+8K ZBL
F SCREW M2.5X0.45P+3F NI
G SCREW M3.0X0.8P+3K NL
49 Chapter 3
Removing the Battery Pack
1. Unlock the battery lock.
2. Slide the battery latch as shown.
3. Then remove the battery pack.
Chapter 3 50
Removing the HDD Module/the Memory and the Wireless LAN Card/
the Thermal Module and the CPU/ODD Module and LCD Module
Removing the HDD Module
1. Remove the two screws holding the HDD cover.
2. Remove the HDD cover.
3. Remove the screw fastening the HDD module to the notebook.
4. Then detach the HDD module from the notebook.
Removing the Memory and the Wireless LAN Card
1. Remove the two screws that secure the RAM/Wireless cover.
2. Remove the RAM/Wireless cover.
3. Pop up the memory then remove it.
4. Disconnect the auxiliary and the main wireless antennae.
5. Pop the wireless LAN card then remove it.
51 Chapter 3
Removing the Thermal Module and CPU
1. Remove the three screws holding the thermal door
2. Detach the thermal door.
3. Disconnect the fan cable from the main board.
4. Remove the three screws fastening the thermal module.
5. Disconnect the fan cable.
NOTE: When you remove the screws fastening the thermal module, please follow the number order 3, 2, 1 on
the thermal module. When you need to assemble the thermal module, fasten the screws as the order 1,
2, 3 on the thermal module.
6. Use a flat-bladed screwdriver to release the CPU lock.
7. Remove the CPU from the socket carefully.
Chapter 3 52
Removing the ODD Module
1. Remove the three screws holding the middle cover.
2. Detach the middle cover carefully.
3. Then remove the two screws fastening the keyboard.
4. Turn over the keyboard as shown.
5. Disconnect the keyboard cable from the main board then remove the keyboard.
6. Remove the screw that fastens the ODD module.
7. Turn over the notebook computer then detach the ODD module carefully.
NOTE: When you reattach the ODD, please make sure you attach the ODD module completely to the main
unit. Otherwise, you can not fasten the screw and the screw may damage the main board.
Removing the LCD Module
1. Remove the three screws holding the keyboard cover.
2. Open the LCD module as the picture shown then detach the keyboard cover from the main unit.
53 Chapter 3
3. Remove the two screws that secure the keyboard as shown.
4. Turn over the keyboard as shown and disconnect the keyboard cable then remove the keyboard.
5. Pull out the antenna set with a tweezers then take out the antenna set from the main unit.
6. Disconnect the LCD coaxial cable.
7. Remove the four screws holding the right and the left hinge. Two on each side.
8. Then detach the LCD module from the main unit.
Chapter 3 54
Disassembling the Main Unit
Separate the Main Unit Into the Upper and the Lower Case Assembly
1. Remove the two screws holding the switch board.
2. Remove the switch board.
3. Disconnect the touchpad FFC from the main board.
4. Disconnect the bluetooth cable.
5. Remove the five screws that secure the upper case.
6. Remove the 17 screws on the bottom as shown.
7. Detach the upper case assembly and place it next to the lower case assembly.
8. Disconnect the microphone cable then remove the upper case assembly.
Disassembling the Upper Case Assembly
1. Disconnect the touchpad board to touchpad FFC.
2. Disconnect the touchpad board to main board FFC.
3. Then detach the touchpad board to main board FFC from the touchpad board.
55 Chapter 3
4. Remove the three screws that secure the touchpad board.
5. Remove the touchpad board from the upper case.
6. Disconnect the touchpad board to touchpad FFC.
7. Remove the touchpad board to touchpad FFC from the uppwer case assembly.
8. Remove the four screws holding the touchpad bracket.
9. Detach the touchpad bracket from the upper case assembly.
10. Remove the touchpad from the upper case.
11. Remove the two screws that secure the bluetooth module.
12. Disconnect the bluetooth module then remove it.
Disassembling the Lower Case Assembly
1. Disconnect the MDC cable from the modem board.
Chapter 3 56
2. Detach the MDC cable from the main board.
3. Remove the two screws holding the modem board then disconnect the modem board from the main
4. Disconnect the speaker cable from the main board.
5. Remove the screw that secure the main board.
6. Remove the two screw nuts as shown.
7. The you can detach the main board from the upper case.
8. Remove the ttwo screws that fasten the N/B heatsink.
9. Remove the N/B heatsink from the main board as shown.
10. Remove the card reader dummy card from the lower case. (For SKU with three-in-one card reader, please
remove three in one cover).
11. Remove the two screws that secure the speaker set on one side.
12. Then remove another two screws holding the speaker set on the other side.
13. Then take out the speaker set from the lower case.
57 Chapter 3
IMPORTANT:When assembling/disassembling the main board, whenever there is a mylar on the main board
(see the highlighted with red below; the mylar is sami-transparent, film-like stuff ), it should be
transferred "if necessary" to the replacement main board. Because the main board mylar should be
stuck to the main board to prevent the antenna cable and the main board components short circuit.
The short could cause the main board or the antenna cable burned.
Chapter 3 58
Disassembling the LCD Module
1. Remove the four screw caps as shown.
2. Remove the four screws holding the LCD bezel.
3. Then detach the LCD bezel from the LCD module.
4. Disconnect the inverter board then remove it.
5. Remove the three screws holding the right hinge.
6. Then remove the three screws that secure the left hinge.
7. Remove one screw that secure the LCD bracket.
8. Remove another screw holding the LCD bracket on the other side.
9. Then detach the LCD panel from the LCD cover carefully.
10. Remove the two screws holding the right bracket.
11. Then remove the right bracket.
12. Remove another two screws that tighten the left bracket.
59 Chapter 3
13. Remove the left bracket as the picture shows.
14. Tear off the tape fastening the LCD cable.
15. Tear off the the LCD cable fastening the LCD cable, then remove it..
Chapter 3 60
Disassembling the External Modules
Disassembling the HDD Module
1. Remove the two screws holding the HDD bracket on one side.
2. Remove another two screws holding the HDD bracket on the other side.
3. Then take the hard disc drive out from the HDD bracket.
Disassembling the Optical Drive Module
1. Remove the four screws as the picture shows.
2. Remove the two screws that secure the optical disc drive and the ODD holder.
3. Push the ODD holder as shown.
4. Detach the ODD holder.
5. Disconnect the ODD connector board then remove it.
61 Chapter 3